news-templestadium033018-01

Dozie Ibeh, associate vice president of Temple’s Project Delivery Group presents details on the university’s proposal to build a new football stadium in North Philadelphia.

— photo by Phillip Jackson

Temple University officials provided details on Wednesday on its proposal for the construction of a new multi-facility stadium.

The proposal was meant to be presented during a town hall that was held last month but the meeting was interrupted by protesters and local residents in the area.

The university estimates the stadium to seat up to 35,000 people.

The school’s facility would be located between Broad and 16th streets, sitting right across from Sullivan Hall on Pollett Walk and Carver High School for Engineering and Science.

The university also plans to build, design and maintain a community garden not far from the stadium.

According to Temple’s proposal, 28 percent of students were using public transit or the shuttle bus from the campus to get to Lincoln Financial Field and the other 72 percent of the people attending were driving or taking public transit.

The university now expects all 10,000 students to walk or bike to the new stadium because of its location. As far as driving, Temple estimates 12,500 people to “arrive via auto” and another 12,500 to use the public transit.

news-templestadium033018-03

Anticipated mode share for game-day patrons. -Courtesy of Temple University

The school said the only facilities planned to get torn down are Temple-owned facilities. The plan is to get rid of the indoor training facility which is near where the school’s new football stadium would be located.

The Amos Recreation Center will remain but the school plans on doing some renovations. Dozie Ibeh, associate vice president of the project delivery group at Temple said the school does not plan on buying homes in the area.

“It’s important to dispel some of the things we have also heard that are not accurate,” Ibeh said. “Temple is not buying homes for this project, we are not currently buying and have not been buying to build this. We are going to build it on Temple owned property.”

Though, the school is still awaiting approval to close 15th street. The university has begun digging in the ground to bury most of the bleachers so it is able to keep the scale height.

Ibeh said the front end of Broad Street holds “retail opportunity” and they are looking to add restaurants, cafes, or book stores but no plans have been finalized for the area.

news-templestadium033018-01

Temple plans to build its football stadium near Broad and 16th streets. Tribune photo by Phillip Jackson

The pavilion-like area will have a good amount of space to be able to walk around just right outside on the south-end of the stadium. William T. Bergman, vice president for public affairs said this will help reduce pedestrian traffic along Norris street.

“This is a way to take people from walking out Norris street on a regular basis to use the center of the campus more,” Bergman said.

Ibeh said it also allows attendees to get from 16th Street to Broad Street.

The 16th Street side of the facility will have the multi-use building.

“We think it’s the kind of thing that alumni would be very interested in and we think that we can shelter a lot of the costs by people making donations,” Bergman said.

“We also believe that in the long run this will be cheaper for us than our current arrangement we have with the eagles. And that money we save we can put towards improving the neighborhood services we think we need to do.”

Ibeh said the school is “burying a lot of the facility below grade.”

He described the structure and shape of the stadium being “like a horseshoe” and the open side of the stadium being south. Ibeh said they designed it this way to drive most of the noise south, which he says only holds Temple facilities — instead of driving game-day noise towards local resident’s homes.

There will be a walk way on the south end area of the stadium hoping to drive a lot of the noise coming from the games — and events around it, south.

Temple is seeking to gain city regulatory approval for its proposal by June 2018 and planning to finish the process by the year 2020.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.