Police kill gun-wielding man outside bar

Adolphus Pinkney was shot dead by police officers outside Olga’s Bar at Percy and Pike streets in the Hunting Park section. Police claim Pinkney fired four times at officers. SUBMITTED PHOTO

The investigation continues into a police-related shooting that happened outside a bar in the Hunting Park section of the city on Saturday.

Authorities said on-duty police officers were in the vicinity of Percy and Pike streets around 12:30 a.m. when a 26-year old man fired at them and they returned fire.

The shooting outside Olga’s Bar followed a dispute inside between Adolphus Pinkney and two other men, according to Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.

“Witnesses said the suspect was waving a gun around. When police arrived, the suspect fired four times at the officers, who then returned fire, striking the suspect. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene and we recovered two handguns.”

Ramsey said the officers have been placed on administrative duty until the investigation into the shooting is completed.

In an unrelated murder investigation, police said they have identified a 17-year old whose body was found in North Philadelphia Sunday night.

Police from the 39th District were called to the 2800 block of North Stillman Street just before 9 p.m. on Sunday.

When they arrived at the scene, they found the victim’s body lying on the doorstep of the residence. He had been shot multiple times in the head and body and was pronounced dead at the scene. He has been identified as Tyquan Harris of the 2900 block of North 26th Street.

As of Tribune press time, police have no motive and no suspects.

In another unrelated murder investigation, police in Upper Darby have charged a 23-year old Philadelphia man with homicide in connection with the slaying of an 18-year old woman.

The suspect, identified as Charles Deloatche, of the 5400 block of Oxford Street, turned himself in to police Saturday afternoon and said his conscience was bothering him.

Police said Deloatche told them he was a passenger in a car being driven by the boyfriend of the victim, Camille Stephenson, on Wednesday night.

Deloatche told police that the driver, known to him only as "L," got in to a heated argument with the victim. Reportedly, Stephenson pulled out gun during the verbal exchange. Deloatche allegedly grabbed the gun and it fired accidentally, killing her. Deloatche said “L” fled the scene and Deloatche drove around before abandoning the vehicle at the Creek Road Apartments in Upper Darby. Landscapers found the body on Friday.

In another unrelated criminal investigation, a defendant in the case of a slain police officer pleaded guilty to the charges of third-degree murder yesterday morning.

William Foster, 44, of Levittown pleaded guilty in the Nov. 17, 2008 death of Philadelphia Police Sgt. Timothy Simpson. Court of Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Minehart sentenced Foster to 19 to 40 years in prison.

Simpson was killed in a car crash while he was responding to a robber reporty. He was 46 and had been on the force for 20 yearsHe is survived by his wife Kathy, and their three children Samantha, Terry and Courtney.

Investigators allege that Foster was trying to escape another pursuing police car when he crashed into Simpson's cruiser. He was charged with third-degree murder, vehicular homicide while driving under the influence, drug offenses, and other related charges.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.