Mother of shot 11-year-old turns self in

Thirty-one-year-old Tiffany Goldwire walks to city police headquarters Thursday, April 17, 2014, in Philadelphia. Goldwire surrendered to authorities to face an involuntary manslaughter charge in the shooting death of her 11-year-old daughter by a toddler. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Tiffany Goldwire, wanted in connection with the accidental shooting of her 11-year-old daughter Jamara Stevens, turned herself in to authorities early Thursday afternoon. She was accompanied by her attorney, Eugene Tinari.

Stevens was shot to death on April 5th inside her home in the 3800 block of Wallace Street. Goldwire is being charged with involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of a child, possessing an instrument of crime and related offenses. Court documents show she is known to police and has a record of several arrests dating back to 2003. In the past she has been charged with illegal drug offenses, possessing an instrument of crime, terroristic threats, weapons offenses, retail theft and other charges.

“We approved involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of a child, recklessly endangering another person and other charges because she is ultimately responsible for the incident that led to her daughter’s death,” said Tasha Jamerson, spokesperson for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office. “She is the mother of those children, she knew there was a gun in the house and that it was moved to an unsafe location, and she is responsible for what happened.”

Support The Philadelphia Tribune

Now, more than ever, the world needs trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support the nation's longest continuously published newspaper serving the African American community by making a contribution.

According to Lt. John Stanford, spokesman for the Philadelphia Police Department, on April 5, Jamara Stevens was killed when her two-year old brother found a loaded and cocked .357 caliber handgun underneath Goldwire’s bed.

“From what we’ve been able to piece together so far, the mother’s boyfriend brought the weapon into the house and placed it on top of the refrigerator,” Stanford said. “She instructed her 14-year-old son to move it to a safe place, which he thought was under the bed up against the wall. It was already cocked. The 2-year-old was playing with a toy truck that rolled under the bed and he saw the gun; got it and started playing with it, and it went off while he was pointing it at his sister. This is a horrible tragedy, just horrible. Every member of this family is going to be affected by this for a very long time.”

Investigators reported that the bullet struck Stevens in the arm and entered her chest. The girl was taken to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia where she was pronounced dead at 10:20 a.m. Stanford said that so far no charges have been brought against the boyfriend. They do have a name and the investigation continues.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.