Philadelphia Gunman Standoff

Officers investigate the scene of Wednesday's standoff with police in Philadelphia, Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019. The gunman, identified as Maurice Hill, wounded six police officers before surrendering early Thursday, after a 7 ½-hour standoff. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said that Maurice Hill, the man police arrested after a seven-hour standoff in which six officers were shot and others were wounded, will likely face charges of attempted murder and aggravated assault.

Krasner also said that Hill, who surrendered to police shortly after midnight after the standoff in the Nicetown section of the city, “should have never been on the streets.”

No charges have been brought against the 36-year-old Hill yet.

Hill, 36, was first arrested for possession of a gun with an altered serial number when he was 18 and found guilty on five counts, Krasner said.

A year later, Hill was arrested and pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance and criminal conspiracy.

Hill was arrested several more times over the years in what Krasner said were crimes that “escalated in their severity.” Some of those crimes included convictions for resisting arrest, criminal trespass and fleeing from the police in 2008. In 2011, he pleaded guilty to aggravated assault. In 2013, he was found guilty of perjury.

Somehow, Hill evaded convictions on other charges, including terroristic threats, illegal possession of firearms, simple assault and possession of controlled substances, among others.

Krasner also said Hill had seen other charges — for possession of guns, drugs and stolen property — dismissed.

“I think it’s clear this man should not have been on the streets in this sense that he was obviously a tremendous danger to the public and to law enforcement,” Krasner said.

At one point on Wednesday, Krasner found himself on the phone with Hill, Hill’s lawyer, Shaka Johnson, and Police Commissioner Richard Ross as negotiations were taking place for Hill to surrender.

Krasner said he was not certain whether his involvement in the phone call would impact Hill’s prosecution. He also said that his involvement in the conversation had nothing to do with Hill’s surrender. Krasner credited the use of teargas and the “negotiations with Ross and law enforcement,” for Hill’s surrender.

Ross, Mayor Jim Kenney, Gov. Tom Wolf, U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, U.S. Rep. Dwight Evans, state Sen. Sharif Street, state Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta and City Council President Darrell Clarke are providing their own update on the shooting in a press conference at the mayor's office at 2 p.m.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.