Blind man’s attacker identified

Police have identified a suspect in the vicious beating of a blind man in broad daylight in the city’s Germantown section on Oct. 2. He has been identified as Mustafa Guyton, 29, from the 300 Block of West Logan Street. Investigators said that Guyton is from the vicinity and court documents show he has a lengthy history of past arrests and incarcerations. — Photograph from the Philadelphia Police Department

Philadelphia law enforcement authorities have identified the suspect who assaulted a blind man in the city’s Germantown section a week ago.

The assault, which was recorded by nearby surveillance cameras, shows a young Black male standing on the corner and, on the video, he appears to look down the street as the victim approaches. The suspect knocks the victim to the ground then viciously kicked and stomped him, injuring the victim’s face and head.

The suspect then slowly walked away as if nothing happened, putting a backpack over his shoulder. The incident was witnessed by several people passing by, none of whom bothered to call 911 and happened just noon on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

The suspect has been identified as Mustafa Guyton, 29, from the 300 Block of West Logan Street. Investigators said that Guyton is from the vicinity and court documents show he has a lengthy history of past arrests and incarcerations.

He has used several aliases in the past and may call himself David Mustafa, Markish LeBron Thomas, Mustufa Guiton and Mustafa M. Guyton.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police at (215) 686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through

Preliminary hearing in police chase case

The preliminary hearing of 40-year-old Erwin Boyd and 41-year-old Tikeena Isreal was scheduled for Thursday. The couple has been charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy, fleeing from law enforcement, DUI and possession of stolen property stemming from a dangerous high speed police chase from Camden, N.J. into Philadelphia.

According to investigators officers with the Camden County Police Department reported observing a stolen vehicle near the corner of 9th and Elm streets in North Camden on Sept. 22.

Police tried to pull the vehicle over, but the driver, later identified as Tikeena Isreal, allegedly took off at a high rate of speed and crossed the Ben Franklin Bridge along with Boyd in the passenger seat. The chase continued onto Interstate 76 into Philadelphia where Pennsylvania State Police ended the car chase.

The pursuit by law enforcement continued on foot when Boyd got out of the car and tried to elude police. Investigators said that Boyd escaped from a New Jersey Department of Corrections halfway house in Trenton on Sept. 14.

In March 2013 a different couple also decided to lead police on a two state high speed car chase.

Blake Bills, 24 and Shayna Sykes, 23, allegedly injured one officer and innocent bystander following a criminal joyride from New Jersey into Philadelphia in two stolen police cars.

In that case, on March 5, Sykes and Bills, both of Macungie,allegedly stole a Camden police cruiser during a routine traffic stop. The two were chased by police into North Philadelphia before crashing into a home. Bills was quickly apprehended, but Sykes managed to steal another police car and led officers on another brief chase before being captured.

South Philly slasher pleads guilty

This week Court of Common Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley sentenced Cory Harley, 31, to 15 to 30 years in prison for slashing a young woman in South Philadelphia in 2012. Harley pleaded guilty to attempted murder and robbery charges this morning just before his scheduled trial was about to begin.

On Nov. 11, 2012, the victim, identified as Ashley Hackett was walking on South Street when Harley began to follow her. Wearing a storm trooper hooded sweatshirt, Harley followed 20 paces behind his victim for several blocks. Then, allegedly wielding a 4 inch knife with a “brass knuckle” shaped handle, Harley allegedly snuck up behind Hackett, reached around her body and began slashing wildly.

While standing above her Harley allegedly grabbed the victim’s purse and ran as she screamed for help. The resulting six inch long cut to Ms. Hackett’s jawline required more than 100 stitches, and just missed slicing her throat by millimeters.


Contact staff writer Larry Miller at 215-893-5782 or

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.