Tribune Staff Writer
The Philadelphia 76ers will play their season opener at Indiana on Wednesday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. The Sixers home opener is against the four-time defending Eastern Conference champion Miami Heat at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. The Sixers will also host the Heat in the regular season finale on April 15.
In addition to the games against Miami, here are some other key games from their home schedule:
• Nov. 3 vs. Houston: All-stars Dwight Howard and James Harden look to avenge an overtime loss on the road to the Sixers last November
• Nov. 7 vs. Chicago: Former MVP Derrick Rose returns to lead the revamped Bulls with four-time all-star Pau Gasol
• Dec. 5 vs. Oklahoma City: Reigning MVP Kevin Durant and the Thunder make their only stop in Philadelphia
• Jan. 5 vs. Cleveland: LeBron James returns Wells Fargo Center as a member of the Cavaliers for the first time March of 2010
• Jan. 21 vs. New York: Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks make their first trip to Philly under the guidance of team president Phil Jackson
• Feb. 9 vs. Golden State: All-star Stephen Curry and former Sixer Andre Iguodala make their one and only appearance at Wells Fargo Center
• March 11 vs. Chicago: Derrick Rose locks horns with fellow point guard and reigning Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams
• March 27 vs. Los Angeles Clippers: Perennial All-Stars Chris Paul and Blake Griffin make their annual trip to Philly alongside former Sixer Spencer Hawes
• March 30 vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Kobe Bryant returns home to play the Sixers for the first time since December 2012
• Apr. 8 vs. Washington: All-Star John Wall and newly acquired forward Paul Pierce lead the Wizards in the battle of I-95
Cheyney “C” Club to reach $200,000 scholarship goal
Golfers in the Philadelphia area are getting ready for The Cheyney “C” Club’s annual Wade Wilson Golf Tournament at Penn Oaks Country Club in West Chester Monday, Aug. 25.
Named after Cheyney University’s fourth president, Dr. Wade Wilson, the Wade Wilson Golf Tournament is The Cheyney “C” Club’s most successful fundraiser. The club’s goal of donating more than $200,000 to Cheyney University athletics department in less than 10 years.
“We thank all of our members, the alumni, faculty, friends, and business sponsors for contributing to our success this and every year, because, without their support, $200,000 would still be a far off goal,” said Larry Skinner, president of The “C” Club and member of the Council of Trustees at Cheyney University in a statement. “We know that the 200 student-athletes at Cheyney truly appreciate our donations to their scholarship fund, and we hope to continue to support the athletic department for years to come.”
Registration starts at 7 a.m and the tournament’s shotgun start will take place at 8 a.m. Featuring a barbecue lunch buffet, a golf clinic at Penn Oaks Country Club, Pinochle Tournament, silent auction, and a wine and cheese tasting at Penn Woods Winery in Chadds Ford, this event itinerary boasts options for both the serious golfer and the non-golfer who is interested in supporting this nonprofit organization’s commitment to the student-athletes at Cheyney University.
Individual golfers are welcome to join The “C” Club on the greens for $170, and foursome can enjoy the course at a discounted rate of $650. Non-golfers can participate in the Pinochle Tournament and wine tasting activities for $75, or get a feel for the game by purchasing a ticket to the golf clinic for $125. Registrations will be accepted up to the day of the tournament.
Interested participants can call (610) 743-8311 or visit “The “C” Club’s website at www.cheyneycclub.com for registration, advertising and sponsorship information.
Contact staff writer Donald Hunt at (215) 893-5719 or email@example.com.